Design and Designing: A Critical Introduction
Steve Garner & Chris Evans
Paperback | 24.4 x 18.9 cm | 512 pp | 218 bw and 32 colour illustrations
Berg Publishers | 2012 | 9781847885760
Design and Designing provides a broad and critical understanding of what is essentially a practical subject. Designing today is less a craft and more a part of the knowledge economy. It's all about knowing how to acquire knowledge and how to apply it creatively.
Design and Designing covers the design process, modelling and drawing, working with clients, production and consumption, sustainability, professional practice and design futures. Chapters are written by expert teachers and practitioners from around the globe, each presenting an accessible and engaging overview of their field of design. Every chapter is highly illustrated with a combination of images and information boxes, which extend or highlight key material. Each section concludes with a design project, a hands-on activity for the reader.
Design and Designing covers the full spectrum of design types, from graphic communication to product design, from fashion to games design, setting every type in its aesthetic, ethical and social contexts. With this essential book, readers will learn from today's best practice and best thinking in design, they will develop a critical sense, and become the designers of tomorrow.
SECTION 1: THE DESIGNING PROCESS
1. The Passport to Practice, Michael Tovey, Coventry University, UK
2. Design Thinking, Maureen Carroll, Leticia Britos Cavagnaro and Shelley Goldman, Stanford University, USA
3. Problem Finding and Problem Solving, Tatjana Leblanc, Université de Montréal, Canada
4. Designing Design, Alison McKay, University of Leeds, UK
Design Project 1 - Design process game
SECTION 2: CREATING AND COMMUNICATING
5. Models of Design and Models in Design, Jack Ingram, Birmingham City University, UK
6. Why do Designers Draw?, Mario Minichiello and Liz Anelli, Birmingham City University, UK
7. Computer Aided Design: Past, Present, Future, Jonathon Allen and Paul Kouppas, University of Western Sydney, Australia
8. Games Design and the Importance of Narrative, Michele D. Dickey, Miami University, Ohio, USA
Design Project 2 - Inspiration
SECTION 3: DESIGNING FOR PEOPLE
9. User-centred Design, Barbara Millet and Patrick Patterson, Texas Tech University, USA
10. Design Semiotics, Bob Eves, Bournemouth University, UK
11. Designing for Mood, Randall Teal, University of Idaho, USA
12. Ethics and Design: I Can but Should I?, Bryce T J Dyer, Bournemouth University, UK
Design Project 3 - Hand hygiene
SECTION 4: BUSINESS, MARKETS AND CLIENTS
13. The Business of Design, Stephen Peake, The Open University, UK
14. The Design Brief: Are You Listening?, Andrew Collier, Director, SMC Design, UK
15. Designing for Markets, Richard Woolley, Land Rover, UK
16. Creative Analysis in Packaging Design, Luiz Gomes and Ligia Medeiros, Universitário Ritter dos Reis, Brazil
Design Project 4 - Where in the world?!
SECTION 5: SUSTAINABLE DESIGN AND DESIGNING
17. Berlin: A Sustained City, David Heathcote and Dorothea Strube, Design authors, UK/Germany
18. Designing for Life Cycles, Philip A Davies, Aston University, UK
19. Is Sustainable Design Viable?, Tom Greenwood, Strategist, Scamper Branding, UK
20. Eco-intelligence: Designing for the Real World, Emma Dewberry, The Open University, UK
Design Project 5 - Global lessons 2024
SECTION 6: THE PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE OF DESIGN
21. Old Materials, New Materials, Terence Kavanagh, Loughborough University School of the Arts, UK
22. User-centred Collaboration in Graphic Design, Sharon Helmer Poggenpohl, Designer & author, USA
23. The Importance of Detail Design, Clyde Millard, Designer, UK
24. Developing Your Intellectual Property, Claire Howell, Barrister & Senior Lecturer in Law, Aston University, UK
Design Project 6 - Team of 24
SECTION 7: DESIGN FUTURES
25. Building Bridges to New Realms, Brigid O'Kane, University of Cincinnati, USA
26. Complexity: What Designers Need to Know, Theodore Zamenopoulos and Katerina Alexiou, The Open University, UK
27. Managing Design: A Roadmap to a Career, Jon Hewitt, Designer, UK
28. Motivation and the Learningscape of Design, Steve Garner, The Open University, UK and Chris Evans, Aston University, UK
Design Project 7 - 24 carat designing
Orders are normally shipped within two working days.
We have four shipping rates based on the overall weight of the order.
Light - £1.95
Standard - £3.95
Heavy - £5.95
FREE - Orders of £75 or more
The rate is calculated at checkout
Orders are despatched within 2 working days.
Delivery normally within 2 days of despatching.
If you require faster delivery please email us.
For shipping to destinations outside the UK please email us to request a quote.